Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

[Twilight Saga] A Very Romantic Story with.... Very Little Literature

First of all, I am very surprised I liked this book. :) But, it's true. It was honestly the first book I had read that featured vampires. 

I had refused to read Twilight series for the past few years until I ordered the whole series online upon a recommendation of a dear friend/professor. As I said, I am not a vampire book reader, but this book was interesting and told me so many new things about whole vampire facts. (For example, I didn't know that there were vegetarian vampires who don't drink human blood. Or I had never thought that I would become so envious(?) of the fact that vampires don't age and stay at the age when they turned vampires.)

  The whole series got suspense, romance, and that whole forbidden love thing going on. Twilight is a highly addictive series. I devoured all four books!  But here is my warning! This series is very very romantic. I was fascinated by all the new notions about much unknown creature of the whole vampire thing. If you are not a fan of romantic novels, you may not be too impressed. For a person like me who loves novels like Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet, Withering Heights and A Mid Summers Night Dream, Twilight saga has most characteristics of the said novels.

 However, there is a huge difference between the above timeless literature and Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga. I am sorry to say that, but Ms. Meyer's writing  is kind of abysmal, monotonous, and puerile. The story is stellar and unconventionally creative. That must be why the series attract millions of people to go through four long books. But! technically, it's lousy!!!! The most noticeable fault is the author's tendency to use the same captions and glossary over and over and over, ..... and over. I gave up counting at the end of the first book, but I'm sure Ms. Meyer used each of the words "chuckled" and "crooked smile" about 100 times, if not more. It was a way too much..... She could have done it better than that. And also, Bella's constant need to describe Edward's gorgeousness got really old and stamped in my memory. I get that Edward is so beautiful. I don't think I'll be able to see any of the movies of this series since I don't want to be disappointed. I am so sure that the actor cannot meet the level of the beauty described in the book. 

Even though I loved the books, I had some difficulties of liking some characters of the book. To be more honest, none of the main characters are sympathetic. Bella is the worst, she's co-dependent, self-destructive, whiny, selfish, and irresponsible. I found Bella to be a self centered, self absorbed, weak, and brat. I don't understand Bella and her need for a man. Then the suicide thing between them is a bit too much. Also, I really hate that Bella was stupid enough to fall for Jacob. Though it had a fantastic ending thanks to werewolf specific "imprinting." Edward and Jacob are slightly more tolerable, but I honestly couldn't figure out what exactly Bella saw in Edward except for his super beauty. And Jacob, who is somewhat more human and  is unmistakable macho. Other than these three characters, all the supporting characters such as the Cullens, Bella's father and mother, are much more likable.

Nonetheless, in spite of all the blind spots of the book, I enjoyed reading the Twilight saga. Stephanie Meyer may not be a great writer, so far, but she is a great storyteller. She got me to think that there could be vampires out there among us and some of them could be nice vegetarians. I know, I know. My friends think that I am silly. :( But, that is an amazing repercussion Ms. Meyer got on me.

It truly was a sensation worldwide. I would say it's worth reading, for once.

Twilight Saga

0 comments:

Post a Comment