Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

[Italian Apple Cake] Easy foolproof apple cake - Torta di Mele

This apple cake is one of my favorite & long-run baking recipes.


I love any kind of cakes/pies with fruits.


Confession:
(I confess a lot! ;))
I eat 3 apples a day.
I can eat more, but refrain myself.
Mr.D thinks we should plant apple trees to supply my needs.
Principally I agree with the idea.
However, we have to move to a house where we will stay for a really long time, at least, to harvest some good apples. :)

This apple cake's real name is "Torta di mele" (= apple cake)
As most, if not all, European recipes provides recipes in weight, not in volume,
I had to convert all the ingredients to volumes. 

We went to apple picking a couple of weeks ago and pick 20 lbs apples.
I used 4 of them to make my favorite apple cake~

Here goes the recipe for "La Torta di Mele"


Ingredients

2 eggs, room temperature
2/3 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup butter, melted
100ml milk
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3-4 Medium size apples
salt, a pinch
breadcrumbs


How to make

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


2. Butter cake pan and dust all over lightly with fine, dry breadcrumbs.


3. In a bowl beat eggs until light.


Gradually add the sugar, and mix well.


Add melted butter and milk, and mix well.


4. Sift Together the flour, baking powder, and salt.



5. Add the sifted flour mixture to the egg mixture.
Don't over-mix, otherwise you will end up with a chewy cake :(


Now, the batter is ready.
Pour the prepared batter in the breadcrumb-dusted cake pan.


6. Peel apples
(I bought this apple corer at IKEA a few years ago.
It's really convenient and cheap!)


and slice thin. 


Layer apple slices starting from the outer skirt.


The cake pan is to be fully filled with apple slices and apples are to me almost sunk in the batter.


7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.


8. Cool completely on rack.


This cake melts and disappears in your mouth very quickly,
especially with a nice cuppa (cup of black tea).


It's really easy to bake.
Enjoy! :)


Torta di Mele

6 comments:

  1. I tried this apple pie once. Nowadays I use dumpling skin. I just boil cubed apples with cinamon power and sugar and fill this in the dumpling skin and bake. It tastes okay. But super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this recipe is one of the easiest recipes I've ever used. I don't know how you make a batter with dumpling skin, but I can assure you that making this batter is not more difficult than using dumpling thing~ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake is one of my favorite cakes. I baked it for my best friend’s family when I visited her in Florida last year. They all loved it, so I gave her your recipe and it became her favorite cake, too. I was told she often baked this cake for her friends. Do you know your cake has been introduced to Japanese community in Tallahassee, Florida?

    At that time, I told her where I got all the recipes I cooked and she was interested in your blog but she couldn’t read Korean. Now, she might be happy to know about Heavenly Palate.
    Thank you.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an apple orchard but I do have a neighborhood apple orchard 1 mile from my house. My apple orchard man, David Rabe, has let us pick for a number of years.
    This has become one of our very favorite apple cakes. Yes is is wonderfully easy, visually and taste wise worth triple the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best cake ever. Quick, easy, and absolutely delicious. I lost the recipe for a bit and was panicking when I couldn't find it on the web. Luckily, I took a picture of a cake I had made and reverse image searched on Google. Thank goodness it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m still baking this simple stunning cake.

    ReplyDelete