Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

[Chocolate sparkler] Rich chocolate cookies that stand out

Cookies are easy to bake and to be loved by everybody.
I crave for homemade cookies  time to time, or rather often.
These chocolate sparkler cookies can be eaten within an hour from the moment you take out the flour and cocoa powder on the kitchen counter top.

This is the recipe I adapted from Mayan chocolate sparkler recipe of Robinhood flour, but twisted to suit my taste only because I don't appreciate spicy taste mixed in sweet cookies.
Oh, another thing. I swapped shortening with butter.
I think my modified recipe is better than the original one. :)

These are cookies with nice earthquake cracks.

A dishful of chocolatey goodness.

This recipe is for all of you who loves rich chocolate taste and all of you who are craving for homemade cookies.

Here goes the recipe.


Cookie Ingredients
(yields about 4 dozens)

1+1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup 100% cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Optional:
If you want to add "Mayan" flavour, add 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper (I omitted)

Topping ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

How to make:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. Topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon for topping.

3. Mix all the dry incredients together.

4. Beat butter, white and brown suggars until creamy.

5. Beat in eggs, one at a time.

6. Add the mixed dry ingredients, mixing until incorporated. Never overmix!

7. Stir in chocoate chips.

8. Roll in 1" balls. Don't flatten.

9. Roll into cinnaomon and sugar topping.

Place on prepared cookie sheets, about 2" apart.

10. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cookies should still be soft in centre.

11. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes.

Remove, cool on wire rack.


Note: Cookies can be frozen raw and stored in an airtight bag or container. If baking from frozen, add 5 minutes to baking time.


 It's sooooooooooooooooo chocolatey.

Chocolate Sparklers


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen, My name is Lida. I was reading your post on naver regularly, and I was so sad about you quit post on there.
    your post has a lot of great information about North America's foods and it's always good information for me.
    Even I'm living in North America, here was no way I can learn this kind of information.
    Finally.. I found this blog in a hard way in google!! :) when I found it I was so happy~!!
    Anyway, always thanks for your great information.

    ReplyDelete