Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

[Pork, Bok Choy & Red pepper Stir-Fry] A colorful medley calling for spring

I can guarantee that this is a real quick fix for a nice meal that does not take more than 30 minutes in total, only if you have all the ingredients.

I don't recommend substituting bok choy with any other green leaf.
Red pepper would be a must too. If you have other bell peppers, you can swap them with red bell pepper.
But, no green pepper please. We need some ripe sweet hint of primary colors to pay respect to the coming Spring.
I know. There is still one and half feet snow piled in my backyard. :(
Spring will start probably in a month if we are lucky.
But, today was not too bad. Snow will be gone if this weather continues for another few days.
We will see. 

I made this colorful stir-fry for Monday dinner, after a very busy day.
You can use beef too. As I liked pork a lot, I usually make it with pork.

Confession:
I had wanted to convert to Judaism, mainly to look smart.
It sounds silly, but I was serious.
But, I had to give up the idea after my husband reminded me how much I love pork and bacon.

Here goes the recipe for Pork, Bok Choy & Red pepper Stir-fry.

Ingredients
1 Cup Basmati Rice
2 tablespoons oyster (flavoured) sauce
(most supermarket chains will carry it)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
 1 cup baby carrots
3/4 lb pork loin
 3/4 lb baby bok choy
1 red pepper
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water


How to make

1. Cook rice according to the package instructions.

2. In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons soy sauce with 2 tablespoons oyster flavoured sauce.
This is marinade sauce for pork.

3. Cut the meat into strips and marinate for 10-15 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, wash and drain vegetables
Cut bell pepper into thin strips,
separate stems and leaves of baby bok choy
Cut baby carrots into half lengthwise.

5. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add ground ginger.

Add pork and cook until pork is almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.

Remove from the heat, and put aside.

6. Heat left olive oil over medium heat and add carrots. 

Cook for 2minutes before adding bell pepper. 

Cook for another minutes before adding baby bok choy.

I use the timer that's already built in the oven.

7. Add 2 tablespoons water 

and cover the skillet with a lid to cook until vegetables are tender-crisp, for 1-2 minutes.

8. Add back cooked pork and quickly stir. :)

Now it's ready to serve.

9. Serve over rice!

It looks easy, doesn't it?
It is even easier than it looks.

Enjoy.


Pork, Bok Choy & Red pepper Stir-Fry



4 comments:

  1. I have never had Bok Choy that I can remember, but theses pictures alone have sold me. Not only does the dish look healthy but delicious too. And I am a HUGE fan of pork too!

    Thank you for your recipe and very clear instructions. The pictures help a lot too. :)

    Hugs Amiga!
    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia,
      I guess you must have tried it if you went to a Chinese restaurant a couple of times. I find it is one of the most popular green leafy vegetables in Chinese food. If you like green leaf, you will definitely like it.
      Glad to know that you like pork too! Isn't it so good? :)
      I'm going to make your muffaletta this weekend. It's almost weekend! Yay.
      Have a nice evening Nini~

      Delete
    2. Well, just because I can't remember if I've had bok choy, I will have to make it a priority to try, whether it is at a restaurant or at home.

      Let me know how the muffaletta worked out, and if you made any changes to suit your personal taste (which is always great to create new!).

      Hugs,

      Delete
    3. Hopefully you can find baby bok choy easily in your area.
      As I said in the previous reply, your muffaletta was just awesome. I really have to do a posting about it soon! :)

      Delete