Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

[Salade Niçoise] French beach style salad - Nice style Full meal salad

French Open kicked off today!
It is an event I get excited for so very much!
Hope my superstar, aka Roger Federer, will win his 17th grand slam title!

In celebration of 2012 French Open, :)
I decided to post about my favorite salad in the whole world, Salade Niçoise, which is more than a mere salad.

Salade Niçoise can be a full meal since it contains subtantial ingredients sufficient for a meal.

It is served as a summer dinner meal at my household. :)

 I've been in Nice only once in my freshman year, with whole bunch of male friends, in two Espaces.rip (minivan from Renault)
It was a budget road trip from Paris to Rome, and Nice was originally planned as  a pit-stop.
Most beaches in Nice, if not all, are topless beaches.
Well, I learned later that tanning topless is a feature of public beaches in France.
Consequently, guess what happened.
The guys who were my travel partners didn't want to leave Nice!!
I was the only one who freaked out, but nobody cared, as half-expected.
Thank Goodness, we had booked the hotels in Genova. Otherwise, we must have been stuck in Nice for the entire week.

I don't havej courage to be topless. That's why I've been avoiding Nice since then. :)
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love Côte d'Azur that comprises Nice, Cannes, Grasse, and even Monte Carlo.
But, believe or not, I haven't had chance to visit its beautiful beach, again. Someday... :)

I had my first salade Niçoise a few years later, in Paris.
It was one awesome salad!
But, the one I had was not an authentic salade Niçoise.
An original Salade Niçoise shouldn't include any "cooked vegetables" such as potatoes or
green beans.
I respect and like the authentic version.
But, to make it more substantial,
I prefer adding potatoes, and especially green beans which is one of my favorite vegetables,
in the deviated version of Salade Niçoise.

Here goes the recipe of Susbtantial Salade Niçoise:

Ingredients
Vinaigrette1 shallot or 1/2 onion, chopped
1 Tablespoons Caper
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/3 cup (or 6 tablespoons) extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 whole pepper, grated

Salad5-6 oz green beans, cooked and drained
2 potatoes, cooked and sliced
3 eggs, hard-boiled and cut into wedges
Romaine lettuce, as much as you want, washed and drained
2 celery stalks, cut into small pieces
2 tomatoes, sliced or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 tuna can, drained
25-30 black olives, pitted
1 can of tuna, drained
1 freshly opened can of flat anchovy fillets

How to make:


1.
First, make vinaigrette. Either shake all the ingredients together in a lid-topped jar, or mix them individually as follows. Stir the shallots or onions together with the mustard and salt.

Whisk in the vinegar. Beat in freshly ground pepper.

 
Meanwhile, cook potatoes, green beans, and eggs.
Slice, or cut accordingly.

2. Place sliced potatoes in a bowl and mix with 6 tablespoons of vinaigrette.

3. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter or in a bowl.

4. Pour potato + vinaigrette misture over lettuce.

5. Toss the green beans, (cherry) tomatoes, and eggs and celery.

6. Add anchovy fillets and black olives, just before serving.

7. Pour vinaigrette over the prepared salad.
This is a perfect salad to be a not-so-light, but still healthy meal.


Enjoy!

Salade Niçoise

2 comments:

  1. 언어장벽이 엄청나네요ㅠ;;
    네이버에서 콜린님 블로그 보다가 갈아타신거 보고 좌절하면서 찾다가 어떻게 하다보니 흘러들어왔습니다ㅎㅎ;
    아, 네이버 블로그에서 글 읽으시던 많은 분들이 콜린님의 글을 그리워 하고 계시는데 알고 계시는지요ㅠ
    콜린님과 개인적인 친분은 없지만 다양한 요리를 다시볼수있어서 즐겁네요ㅎㅎ
    그럼 다음번에도 다시 한번 오겠습니다ㅎㅎ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet u Colleen, I'm Chaeyoung Kim from NY. I'm Korean too and I have been one of big fan of urs from Korea.
    I was so glad to find u here finally and I have many chances to follow ur recipes here because I thought it was not easy to get western vegetables when I was in Korea.
    I just made this salad a couple of days before, it was really nice, so I love it!
    I will try others too soon. Thanks!:-)

    ReplyDelete