I don't exactly know how to explain, but I like the pumpkin pie that doesn't have strong pumpkin taste. It still needs to have a taste and scent of pumpkin, but it shouldn't be very distinctive.
The pumpkin pie I like should have only a vague scent of pumpkin spice, but shouldn't be strong. It also would have sweetness which is a must-have virtue for a pie. :D
Not too surprisingly, Mr. D and my kids also share the same taste for the pumpkin pie.
However, it is not easy to find such a pie recipe.
I've tried many different pumpkin pie recipes, only to find the right one in 2008.
Since then, I've stuck to this recipe.
You should try it!
If you are a fan of a pumpkin pie, but not of its strong flavour,
you should try this recipe.
You may shout "Eureka", just like I did! ;D
It's a pumpkin season and perfect time to bake a pumpkin pie.
I baked it last weekend, for a Thanksgiving dessert, and another one the night before yesterday.
For a flaky pie dough, see the recipe here:
Here goes the recipe for the Pumpkin Cream Pie:
(Adapted from Everyday Food, November 2008)
For the pie:
1 single basic pie crust
(see the recipe here)
1 can (15 ouncs = 440 ml) pure pumpkin purée
2 large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup light-brown sugar
1+1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream
for the topping:
1 teaspoon unflavoured gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven t 400 Fahrenheit (= 200 Celcius).
2. On a floured surface, roll dough to a 14-inch round with a rolling pin.
3. Wrap dough around rolling pin, and unroll over a 9-inch pie plate.
Gently fit into the plate.
4. Using thmb and forefinger, crimp rim of crust.
5. T blind-bake, fill the crust with dried beans or pie weights.
Bake until edge of crust is firm, about 20-30 minutes.
6. Remove beans and foil, and let crust cool completely.
7. Reduce heat to 350 Fahrenheit(=180 Celcius).
8. Make filling: In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla and salt.
9. Whisk in cream.
10. Pour pie filling mixture into cooled crust.
11. Wrap the crust with foil or a pie ring, not to brown the crust.
12. Bake until filling is set, about an hour.
13. Let cool on a wire rack for an hour before refregirating the pie.
14. Place 3 tablespoons cold water in a saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin, andleft soften,about 5 minutes.
Place pan over very low heat; stir until gelatin dissolves, and let cool slightly.
15. Using an electric mixter, beat cream and sugar until very soft peaks form.
16. While beating, slowly add gelatin mixture, and continue to beat until soft peaks from. .
17. Wth a spatula, mound topping in centre of chilled pie.
18. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Sprinkle more cinnamon before serving.
It has lots of steps, only bcecasue of the steps for the pie crust.
Once you make pie crust, you are 70% or more, to bake an excellent pie.
This pumpkin pie is creamy and sweet.
You can have a taste of fall on your palate.
I know you will like it. ;)
Pumpkin Cream Pie