Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

[Oatmeal Muffins] Simply Moist Muffins

Now it's time of the year when my kids have to eat breakfast on the road. Both Mr.D and I start work early in the morning. So, kids eat breakfast in the car while Mr. D or I drive them to a summer camp, which means I have to prepare something quick and not-to-be messy. The easiest thing to pack in the morning is muffin on condition that I have muffins baked a night or two before. Anyway, a dozen muffins don't last more than a couple of days. I try to bake at least once or twice a week, even in summer. As you might guess, Mr.D who wants no more than 2 weeks of summer heat a year is not happy with my habit. But, he has got used to it by now. I try to bake muffins not too sweet so that we don't need to intake more than necessary amount of sugar. So, please mind that my recipes have reduced amount of sugar compared to the original recipes. However, I'm very much against the idea of reducing fat, or rather butter, since butter gives you an extra flavourful kick to your baking.

This oatmeal muffins are so delicious and filling that I indulge a couple of muffins every time I bake them. You can add or skip dried fruits or chocolate chips. My favorite is actually simple oatmeal muffins. But, my kids, of course, prefer the muffins with chocolate chips. Even though he doesn't like oatmeal, Pablo loves this oatmeal muffin and asks for more whenever I bake them. I often substitute a cup of buttermilk with a 1 tablespoon white vinegar + (1 cup - 1 tablespoon) milk. If you want to make a substitute for buttermilk, see here. And I use quick oats instead of old-fashioned ones.

Here goes the recipe:
(adapted from Epicurious.com)

Ingredients
1 cup quick oats (or old fashioned oats)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon white vinegar + (1 cup - 1 tablespoon) milk)
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dried currants (or raisins or chocolate chips)*

Directions

1. If you are not using buttermilk, mix milk and vinegar in a bowl, and let it stand for 10 minutes before use.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats and milk mixture and let stand 20 minutes. 

If you decide to used old-fashioned oats, let the mixture stand an hour or until oats absorb all the liquid.

3. Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C, and butter twelve muffin tins.

4. Add egg, sugar and butter to oat mixture, stirring until just combined.

5. In another large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda 

6. Add to oat mixture, stirring until just combined. 
7. Fold in currants or raisins or chocolate chips. (optional)

8. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. 

9. Bake muffins in middle of oven until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.

I am sure you will love it and inhale more than one muffin at once. Enjoy! :)

Oatmeal Muffins

6 comments:

  1. Hey Colleen, recovered from the shock? Let's wait for the U.S. Open and wish that such a tragedy would not repeat there.
    Anyway, unlike me, my bf isn't a huge fan of oats.. But I am pretty sure that he will like these muffins since he likes moist stuffs and moreover, I guess he won't even notiche that these are oatmeal muffins:p Thx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolina,
      trying to pretend I'm okay.... it's still weird that he decided to play two clay tournaments before the American hard court swing.
      May I ask why you don't like oats?(Just curious)
      I have a (sort of) fond memories of my grandfather who always had oatmeal for breakfast. That must be why I give a favour to oat recipes. :) Hope your boyfriend likes it.
      Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
    2. Well I heart oats (not only as a baking ingredient but also with apple and cinnamon, bananas, etc), but my boyfriend doesn't. He is from Spain, and oats are not part of his daily diet, I guess. Moreover, being a very -VERY- chocolaty person, he may not consider oats as baking-suitable-ingredient. I should start with oatmeal muffins with chocolate chips or add some in this recipe. Thanks for asking. It gave me some ideas, as well:)

      Hope you had a nice one, too.
      Saludos desde Nicaragua

      Delete
    3. Hopefully he will like chocolate chip oatmeal muffins :) My kids will love them too. Actually I've never added chocolate chips to my oatmeal muffins. I should treat kids to the chocolaty oatmeal muffins. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi , just wanted to say that I really like these muffins and thank you for sharing this :)
    I added some shredded coconut and my son really loved it ^^
    Just wanted to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, glad you like this recipe. It's very easy to make, isn't it? I am sure that shredded coconut must do good to the muffins. :)

      Delete