Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

[Super Crispy Kale Chips] Unstoppable Healthy Chips

Well, Actually, I'm completely absolutely speechless since I checked the result of Federer's match in the afternoon. This is a very bad nightmare to forget, at least for now. Maybe I should accept the fact that Fed is not almighty... any more? Anyway, a few years ago, I already had decided not to idolize any specific player once Federer calls it a career. It's emotionally exhaustive in many ways.... I'm not going to read any articles about today's match, until the aching of my heart goes away, hopefully in a couple of days. Bref, it's not time to elaborate further in this matter.

I am going to disclose one of my favorite snack recipes, to cheer myself up. I get cheered up when I think, talk, make or write about foods, especially what I like. Now I already feel a little bit better. :) 
Here, I should confess that I have a strange stomach that needs to be fed throughout the day. But, I can't eat much in the evening since I can't go to bed with a full stomach. Or rather, I can go to bed, only with an empty stomach to have good night sleep. Thus, I bring lots of snack to nibble all day, to work. These kale chips are the snack I like very much. You might not believe, but it's not only crispy, but also very very tasty. As you know, a bunch of kale is seriously lots of kale, maybe too much. I had never used up a whole bunch of kale before I came across kale chips a while ago. 

Since then, it became so easy to get through a bunch of kale. Can you believe that sometimes it doesn't look enough for me, to make these crispy chips? I have to warn you that , like any other chips, once you start eating kale chips, it's almost impossible to stop.
You only need three ingredients, including kale, to make these delectable chips. I once forgot to sprinkle salt before I put the baking trays in the oven. But, surprisingly, it was still very tasty without salt! I can finish a whole bucket of crunchy kale chips at a stretch. :(

Here goes the recipe for crispy kale chips.
(adapted from Food Network)

Ingredients
1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt, for sprinkling

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit (135 degrees Celsius).

2. Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into bite size. It's easy if you use scissors. As the size shrinks to 1/3 of original size once baked, so don't cut into too small sizes . I cut leaves into about 2" x 2" or even 3" x 3" pieces.

3. Wash and drain thoroughly, preferably with a salad spinner.

3. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. 

Here's my secret tip~ I pour one tablespoon olive oil and then toss & rub one of two batches of kale leaves. 

You will see that 2 tablespoons olive oil is just enough for the whole bunch. I bake a bunch in two batches.

4. Bake until crispy, about 20 minutes.  Don't forget to turn kale leaves half way through. 

Serve as finger food. My kids love these chips too. Do I need to say more? :)
Just make sure you check your teeth for any green after you munch these delicious chips.


Crunch Kale Chips

2 comments:

  1. I have so many things to say(or rather, nothing to say) on that shocking defeat, but... ugh.. I watched the match in the middle of the night and was utterly dumbfounded for quite a while. Only upside is that I have every evening wide open for the next week and can get some decent amount of sleep? Maybe you too can find some comfort in the fact that Roger didn't play too bad and Starkhovsky was an excellent serve&volley-er.


    Kale Chip is something I've never heard of! I tried beet chips recipe from your previous blog, but I've only known kale for a major ingredient in one of those super-healthy smoothies. The chips look healthy and delicious and should be nice replacement for high carb chips. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I'm still speechless... The fact that Stakhovsky was a great, or better, player doesn't console much :(

      Kale chips are very tasty and healthy. You should try! I'm sure you will love the crunchiness and tastiness of kale chips!

      Delete