Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

[Super Healthy Muffin] Fatless Muffins with apple and carrot - Breakfast Muffins

When my friend Audrey gave me two dark brown baked goods which had looked like somewhat muffins, I didn't have much expectations before I tasted one. It looked kind of dry and too dark for my liking. I know it sounds funny, but the appearance of the super healthy muffins was not very much appealing.

Surprisingly(?), it tasted really, seriously, and genuinely good!!! I liked it immediately. It looked dry, but inside was amazingly moist. It didn't only taste good, but also absolutely healthy. I know,it sounds weird, eh? Audrey gave me the recipe right away upon my urgent request, as all the good helpful friends are supposed to do. :) Well, no wonder that this muffin tasted so fit~ The recipe didn't use a major ingredient which usually is essential for baking: fat, either oil or butter. 

If you want to feel good and healthy while eating two, or three muffins in the morning, this is the muffin you should try! I was totally hooked since I first tasted it and bake it quite often. This also was the first item on my list to bake when I picked apples two weeks ago. 

Here goes Colleen's version of super healthy bran muffins! You can make within 40 minutes including the time for preparation.

Apple-Carrot Bran Muffins
(yields 12-15 medium size muffins)

(a) Ingredients - dry
1+1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup all bran (or 1 cup all bran if using only 1/2 cup ground flax seed)
3/4 cup ground flax seed  (or 1/2 cup  ground flax seed if using 1 cup all bran)
1/3 cup brown sugar (reduced from 3/4 cup of the original recipe. As raisins are pretty sweet, you don't need much sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins

(b) Ingredients - fresh
1 + 1/2 cups carrot, shredded
2 apples

(c) Ingredients - wet
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, to grease the baking pan.

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

2. (Lightly) grease muffin tins.

3. Peel, core, and chop apples.

4. In a large bowl, mix together all the (a) ingredients: bran, ground flax seed, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, raisins and salt. 

5. Add (b) ingredients: milk, eggs beaten, and vanilla. Mix just until moistened.

6. Stir in the (c) ingredients: carrot and apple. 

Now the batter is ready! It takes about 10-15 minutes until now.

7. Scoop batter into greased muffin pan.

8. Bake for 25-27 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched.

9. Cool on the rack.


* Warning! Don't use muffin liners for this recipe. The muffins stick to the liners! It's neither pretty nor practical~

Enjoy and Be healthy! :)

Super Healthy Muffins

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen,

    As I was preparing to make these muffins, I checked out the same recipe at your previous blog and noticed the previous one included 1 1/2 cup flour. Since you have mentioned this is a flourless recipe so I don't think you have mistakenly left out the flour, but just wondered if the two tasted the almost the same. Last time I baked this muffin, it tasted wonderful and still so healthy!


    Thanks :)


    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      my bad! Sorry and thanks for checking with me. I must have been out of my mind or something. It's fatless, but not flourless. It tastes healthy, and hopefully is healthy!
      Have a nice Monday!

      Delete